image

This week I’ll be focusing on Tech Edge in the Classroom for Language Arts. The first video I watched talked about poetry and rhyming apps.

A rhyming app that was discovered is called Rhymer’s Block. I like this app for poetry units where students have to write their own poems, but are stuck when trying to discover words that will work. They simply type in a word or sentence, and the iPad will pop up with several options that rhyme with the student’s typed word. This is also a great way for students to learn new vocabulary. icon175x175

The second app Tech Edge checked out (episode 102)  is called Tangled Roots. This app is a great way for students to become familiar with root words. It would also help with pre-fixes and suffixes. icon320x320

The third video I looked at was episode 19, where word games were discussed. I’m surprised they discussed using Words With Friends in the classroom, since I’ve only played it on social media for fun. They didn’t really talk about how it could be used in the classroom, which I was really interested in finding out. I guess it could be a good beginning of class activity to have students play against each other on their iPads while getting settled, but other than that I’m not sure how well it would work in the classroom since it’s social media based.

words-with-friends-icon